Friday, April 15, 2011

Breaking 6

Congrats to my baby brother Sam who ran under 6 minutes on the mile at today's track meet!!! His time was 5:57. Even I've never broken 6 on the mile before! So proud of that little dude, who's growing up (by God's grace) into quite a fine young man, if I do say so myself >.<

But sitting on the bleachers today at Kezar, watching the little Presidio middle schoolers run and cheering them on... man it brought back sooooo many memories. Memories of my younger years running track in middle school (yeah Presidio Panthers!) and in high school (woot! Lowell Cardinals!). I remember the smell of the grass and the rubbery track and the feeling of a mixture of excitement+dread whenever I'm racing on the field. It's an awesome feeling mixed with some fear, I guess of losing and letting the team/myself down. Haha I remember I got to (by God's grace) compete in All City Finals for every year that I ran track throughout my running career. Key races I remember winning were the All City Girls' 800m dash in 8th grade and 4x100m relay senior year of high school, for which I ran the anchor leg and we made it to State Championships! Of course we only made it for trials =/ bud since we placed like dead last during trials, we didn't get to compete in finals but still, twas a great honor to even get to go to the State meet representing SF! And I still have my State sweatshirt :)

Anyway, it's Sam's last year in middle school (8th grade going on high school! eeck) and both he and I hope that he makes it to All City Finals this year. Stay tuned and lemme know if you wanna come out to one of his meets with me (not very many left) before All City to support and encourage the little man :)

No comments:

Post a Comment