Friday, May 5, 2017

Wellspring of Grace

He Giveth More Grace

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.

His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

I came across this precious jewel of a hymn that I've never heard of before, but its lyrics are so beautiful and God-pointing. They really hit my heartstrings, too, as I've felt at the end of myself so many countless times this past (school) year, 2016-2017.  I wrote down these lyrics immediately, several times actually, and pondered the words.  Sometimes my wandering heart "forgets" about God's generous, giving, gracious character.  Instead of seeing Him rightly as who He is, I sinfully see Him as a distant, nonchalant, stingy God who withholds good things from me.  How absolutely wrong and foolish for me to think that even for a second!  His Word tells us in Psalm 84:11 that no good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly, whose walk is blameless.  This hymn reminds me that God loves to give and give, He loves to bless and bless His children who are obedient to Him.  And His infinite resources will never be depleted.  He is the Wellspring of Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment