Sunday, January 15, 2017

An Honest Prayer Before a Date

Dear God,

I'm so thankful for You, Your Son Jesus Christ, Your wonderful church of which I am a part.  I am so thankful to belong to You, to be Yours.

At 5pm, we will meet and then take the Metro to Santa Monica.  He wants to walk along the beach.  Perhaps we shall get dinner together afterwards somewhere, then take the Metro back before it gets too late.  I'm looking forward to spending time together, to enjoy his company (dare I say, even secretly excited?).  Oh Lord, I am afraid... afraid of getting into some silly conflict or misunderstanding (which seems to have been the trend of our last few meet-ups); of my own sin, pride, selfishness, emotions getting in the way; of crying, which makes everything worse; of something going awry and then we end up having a bad time... at the same time, I also fear getting attached to him, of liking him too much.  My heart is fragile, vulnerable, prone to wander and sin - Lord, You know it.  Though it is wicked and sinful, it is also highly sensitive to sin and heavily desirous to do what is right and pleasing to You, all because of the Holy Spirit which dwells within.  My heart is constantly on the lookout for any creeping potential idols lurking from a near distance (from close or afar), any threats to Your rightful throne-seat in my heart.  Though it is weak, my heart is also familiar with building fortresses, setting up safeguards to protect the most vital "organ" contained in my entire being.  Oh Lord, may You be my strong tower, the only One who can truly protect and keep me pure and blameless in Your holy sight.

My God, please silence these anxious thoughts and worries in my heart this moment by Your presence, Your Word, Your promises.  I know that I should not worry but instead pray, so that is what I am choosing to do right now.  Lord, I pray specifically that our time together would be fun, pure, honoring to You, that we would learn more about each other, that we would be able to be ourselves and love/accept one another for what You have uniquely made us to be.  Lead us in this relationship as we continue to follow You, in faith.

In Your powerful and matchless Name I pray,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment